HELPING VULNERABLE FAMILIES TO A BRIGHTER FUTURE
The Family Haven was established in 1988 to help disadvantaged and vulnerable families in Gloucestershire to a brighter future. We help parents and their pre-school children by providing a warm, caring and supportive day centre where assistance and encouragement is available to help them to improve the quality of their lives – it’s a literally a haven for families in Gloucester with small children who are facing difficult times.
We provide a nursery, with an Outstanding rating from OFSTED, which offers a wonderful caring environment enabling the children entrusted to our care to thrive and develop during this vital period of their lives. We also offer a client centre for parents, which provides support, emotional warmth and encouragement.
There are numerous other services for our families at our Spa Road building. We serve a hot and nourishing family lunch for all clients and children; laundry facilities are available; free, good-quality second hand clothing is regularly made available, the is help with benefits, parenting classes and healthy eating workshops.
The Family Haven from SoGlos on Vimeo.
OUR RESPONSE TO THE COVID-19 CRISIS
When the Covid crisis emerged, our work continued. We found ways of supporting for our clients through the emergency, re-inventing our services to suit the prevailing circumstances. For example:
- We kept in telephone contact with all parents on at least a weekly basis, more often if they want it.
- We provided advice and information about available resources in the present crisis, including regular newsletters
- We sent out weekly education packs for the children
- We set-up a private Facebook group and post many stories and songs for the children to enjoy
- We made regular deliveries of useful goods and supplies for our clients
- We also regularly provided a box of fresh fruit and vegetables
- We ran on-line parenting and healthy eating classes
Since lockdown was eased, we have carried on with this work, while gradually re-opening of the building for clients – initially with the nursery taking four children each day. More recently we have been able to take more children into the nursery, provide a meal service and partially re-open our day centre in a way that keeps clients and staff safe.
I can promise everyone that our commitment to clients remains undiminished. I would like to pay tribute to our wonderful staff for their response in these most difficult times.
John Price – Chair of Trustees (Retired 2020)